Beginning of the End

I am declaring this the beginning of the end. The space between summer and fall. A time where the best of both worlds is available at the farmer's market. Do you hold on to the bounty of summer until the bitter end, or do you embrace the highly-anticipated flavors of fall? This is a question I am struggling with each time I contemplate the age old question "What should I make for dinner?". According to the calender, fall has begun. The weather has started to turn colder as well (even after the hot spell in NYC last week). Autumn is my favorite season, by far, but I have found that I'm just not ready to give up on the foods of summer.


So, this week is a marriage of the two. A little bit summer, a little bit fall. I kicked it off this afternoon by preserving one of my absolute favorite end-of-summer fruits: figs. I prepared Fig and Thyme Jam, and boy did I. The recipe I was working with made 10 half-pints. 10 half-pints!! That's a lot of jam!! Should be enough to get me through the winter (and then some). I also made a delicious dinner of Pecan-Crusted Tilapia with Zucchini Carpaccio, Fennel and Orange Salad and Orange Beurre Blanc. I actually used cod in the meal, but would highly recommend using tilapia instead. I think the flavor and texture would be a bit better

Pecan-Crusted Tilapia: Yields 4 Servings
1 lb cod, cut into 4 fillets
2 T mayo
1 t mustard
1 t maple syrup
salt and pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
2 T olive oil

1. Heat oven to 400. Wash and dry tilapia. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
2. Mix together mayo, mustard and maple. Spread on top of fish. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Press pecans onto mayo/mustard mixture.
3. Drizzle fish with olive oil. Bake until tender, about 10 minutes.


Zucchini Carpaccio: Yields 4 Servings
2 T olive oil
2 zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
salt and pepper, to taste

Heat oil in a large non-stick pan of medium-high heat. Cook zucchini until barely soft and lightly golden in spots. Season to taste before serving.


Fennel and Orange Salad: Yields 4 Servings
1 bulb fennel, thinly sliced
1 T fennel fronds, minced
2 oranges, segmented and remaining pith juiced
1 T olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste

Mix and serve.


Orange Beurre Blanc: Yields 4 Servings
5 T butter, divided
1 shallot, thinly sliced
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1/2 c orange juice
1/4 cup white wine
salt, to taste

1. In a small saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add shallot and thyme, cooking until fragrant and translucent.
2. Pour in orange juice and wine. Bring to a boil and cook until reduced by 1/4.
3. Lower heat to a gentle simmer. Add remaining cold butter, 1 T at a time. Whisk after each addition until combined. Season with salt to taste and serve immediately.



This menu sounds sophisticated, but is actually very simple. Hope you enjoy the recipes! I'll be making another summer/fall meal later this week. Be sure to check back! Until then, Happy Cooking.

Comments