Polenta Pizza

It's Wednesday-Hump Day! (you know-the middle day, not... the day of "humping"... awkward) Anyways, we are halfway through the new week. For some silly reason, it's starting to heat up again here in NY (yuck!!!) and I actually had to break out my shorts again. Just when I thought we were over being hot, Mother Nature decided that I didn't sweat enough and brought back 80+ degree weather. Because of this, my other dinner this week ended up being a meal that required minimal stove top cooking. Who wants to be hovering over hot flames when it's already warm in the kitchen? Not moi. So, I prepared a simple skillet pizza using polenta as the crust. It was AMAZING! My boyfriend raved about it. Check out the delicious gluten-free pizza below:


Skillet Polenta Florentina Pizza: Yields 4 Servings
1 T butter
1 clove garlic
1 cup cornmeal
2 cups vegetable stock
salt and pepper, to taste
1 recipe Sun Dried Tomato Pesto (listed below)
1/4 t crushed red pepper flake
3 oz spinach
2 eggs
1/2 cup Fontina cheese, grated

1. Heat butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sweat until fragrant. Stir in polenta and vegetable stock. Cook until tender and creamy, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes. Pour into a large nonstick skillet and chill in the fridge until set.
2. Heat oven to 450. Once crust is set, spread pesto over the top. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper and spinach, creating two cups for the eggs. Crack the eggs on the pizza, being careful not to break the yolks. Top with cheese. Bake until egg whites are cooked through and the cheese is melted, about 8 minutes. Serve immediately.


Sun Dried Tomato Pesto: Yields 1/2 cup
4 oz oil-packed sun dried tomatoes
2 T Parmesan cheese
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
Combine ingredients in a food processor. Season to taste with salt and pepper.



Hope you enjoy this meal! It's a fun gluten-free twist on a pizza that I and my boyfriend really love. I don't think I'll be doing much more cooking this week. But, I do plan to make two dinners next week (one of them with fish) and fig jam. Woot-canning!!! How I've missed thee...

Comments

  1. Great looking recipe Abbey(gluten free pizza). We will have to try that one.
    Love your blog.
    Larry & Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment