Crock-Pot Paella

Sometimes I am the worst type of cook - a glutton for punishment. The type that knows she shouldn't make warm things on hot summer days but does it anyways. I'm the one who sweats it out in the already warm kitchen over warm pots and pans, and then continues to sweat while eating hot foods in a steamy living room. But, that is OK! The food is delicious and worth the sweat and tears (of stupidity).

This time, however, I had hoped that I had come up with a slightly better solution to the hot kitchen problem. I was craving Vegetarian Paella and got it through my head that I had to make it, even though it was summer(silliness). But, I came up with the idea that cooking with my slow cooker would keep my kitchen at least a little bit cooler. It actually worked! Even better - the paella was delicious. We gobbled it up the moment it was done. Hope you enjoy it too!

Crock Pot Vegetarian Paella: Yields 4-6 Servings
2 T olive oil
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 1/2 cups brown rice
3 cups vegetable stock (+ extra if needed)
1 can fire-roasted tomatoes (I used ones with green chilies added - yum!)
large pinch of saffron, crumbled
1/2 t smoked paprika
salt and pepper, to taste
12 oz fresh asparagus, sliced on an angle into 3/4-inch pieces
10 oz box frozen peas

Marinated Mushrooms:
4-6 large Portobello mushroom caps
4 cloves garlic
1 T Dijon mustard
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste

1. In a saute pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until tender. Add garlic and cook until fragrant and onions are just starting to caramelize around the edges. Transfer to a slow cooker, along with rice, stock, can of tomatoes (undrained), saffron, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Cover, turn heat to low, and simmer for 3 hours.
2. Meanwhile, marinate mushrooms. Place caps gill side up in a baking dish. Sprinkle with garlic. Whisk together Dijon, balsamic, olive oil, salt and pepper and pour over mushrooms. Cover and let sit until rice is tender, stirring occasionally and adding a little extra stock if necessary.
3. When rice is tender, add asparagus and frozen peas on top of the rice. Stir to combine. Cover and cook for an additional 20-30 minutes minutes, or until asparagus is tender.
4. While the vegetables cook in the paella, heat broiler. Broil mushrooms until tender. Slice and serve on top of paella when ready.


This was a great meal, fresh and filling. Cooking it in the a slow cooker was pretty genius and I'm excited to try it again. I made another sweet this weekend as a gift for my loving mother. Once she receives them and if she enjoys them, I'll post the recipe :) There's also fun gluten-free dessert coming up, so be sure to check back for the story and recipe!

Comments