The Self-Proclaimed Queen of Caramel

I rocked caramel's socks off recently. I took it to a whole new level. Everything I once thought I knew about caramel, I learned anew. Why just have Salted Caramels when you can have Salted Creme Fraiche and Honey Caramels? The logical answer would be, "Because I don't have Abbey Florence, the self-proclaimed Queen of Caramel, to make them for me!" Now, I know we all wish we could have our own personal caramel-makers in our homes, ready to create and entice you with sugary, gooey goodness. But, unfortunately, they are hard to come by (if they exist at all). On the bright side, with the handy dandy recipe below, you too can exalt yourself to Caramel Godliness. Maybe a little over-dramatic, but undoubtedly delicious.

Salted Creme Fraiche and Honey Caramels: Yields 1 8x8-inch pan (# depends on desired size)
1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup creme fraiche
1 cup honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 t vanilla extract
1/2 t sea salt

1. Line an 8x8-inch pan with parchment paper, allowing 1-2 inches of overhang on all sides.
2. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add creme fraiche, honey and brown sugar. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Continue boiling, stirring occasionally, until the caramel reaches 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Take off the heat and stir in vanilla.
3. Pour into prepared pan. Let sit for about an hour and sprinkle with sea salt. Continue to let cool until they harden completely, overnight or for 2 hours in the refrigerator.
4. When set, peel the parchment off the sides of the caramel (not the bottom, it will help keep them from sticking). Slice into desired size using a sharp knife. Return to the refrigerator occasionally if they become too soft to slice (especially in a hot kitchen like mine). Wrap individually in squares of wax paper. They will keep for 1 month in the refrigerator and will become soft at room temperature.
Note: These are a soft caramel. Gooey and delicious. If you would like them harder, cook to 255 or 260 degrees Fahrenheit)

Holey cow these rock. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. They have more dimension of flavor that typical caramels and have less of that harsh sugar taste. Sure to be a hit in your household!

Last weekend, I went blueberry picking with my boyfriend for the very first time. It was such a fun experience! We now have plans to pick every other type of fruit that we can before the summer is over. To showcase this delicious fruit, I have a couple of treats in store: Blueberry and Violet Trifle with Gluten-Free Ladyfingers as well as Gluten-Free Blueberry Cobbler with Creme Fraiche Ice Cream. Wahoo!!! Blueberry Jam is also in store - once it gets a bit cooler. I'll let you know how the blueberry showcase goes!

Comments