And I hope you like jammin' too

Strawberries are everywhere and I can't resist buying them. Seriously, I'm becoming addicted. Once sweet cherries start popping up at the Green Market, I will officially be done for. They are one of my weaknesses.

I decided to get my jam on and make some Strawberry Vanilla Bean Jam. As you can plainly see, I like the idea of infusing other flavors along with the delicious fruit flavors in my jams and butters (and everything else really). Why make just strawberry jam when you can make strawberry vanilla bean jam? This recipe was absolutely addictive. I can't wait to experiment with some more strawberries next week!

Strawberry Vanilla Bean Jam: Yields 3 Half-Pints
2 quarts strawberries
2 cups sugar (be sure to use vegan sugar for vegan product)
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 vanilla bean, sliced in half and seeds removed

1. Place strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a large non-metal bowl. Cut vanilla bean in half, scrape out seeds, and add both to the strawberries. Let sit at room temperature for 2 hours.
2. Wash and sterilize jars. Reserve water bath for processing later.
3. Remove vanilla bean pod. Place strawberries in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook for 25 minutes, or until setting point has been reached.
4. Remove hot jars and place on a towel. Carefully fill jars with jam. Wipe rims, top with lids, and screw on rings.
5. Place in water bath. Bring to a boil and process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and let cool to room temperature before tightening rings and labeling.


Jam = deliciousness. Besides possibly making a couple of batches of Herb Pickled Asparagus on Sunday or Monday, I don't have too many other cooking ambitions for the holiday weekend. But, you should still prepare yourself for the spring Indian-inspired meal early next week!

Comments