Strawberry Fields Forever

If I were a cartoon character this week, I would definitely be Strawberry Shortcake. I have perfected my technique of working with the delectable fruit. I can transform it into something familiar yet new. I am its master.

Last night I made Strawberry Rosemary Sauce. To use a young modern phrase, "it's like crack"...only legal and good for you. Serve it on top of ice cream, with cornmeal ricotta waffles (which I will HAVE to make soon now), in strawberry shortcake, or even mixed with reduced balsamic vinegar for a new sauce. The flavor is sweet and tangy from the berries, but with a wonderful herbal and earthy background from the rosemary. If your birthday is coming up soon, expect to receive a jar of this amazingness.

Strawberry Rosemary Sauce: Yields 5-6 Half Pints (I made 5 and ate the remaining!)
3/4 cup + 1 Tbsp water water
1 and 1/3 cups sugar
2 quarts of strawberries, hulled, halved and thinly sliced
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 and 1/2 Tbsp bottled lemon juice (it has a higher and more consistent pH than fresh)

1. Wash and sterilize jars according to previous instructions. Keep in hot water, covered, until ready to use.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine water and sugar over low heat. Stirring constantly, cook until sugar has dissolved.
3. Add half of the strawberries. Using a hand masher, crush the strawberries. Increase heat and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 7 minutes. Stir occasionally and skim foam off of the top as needed.
4. Add the remaining strawberries, rosemary and lemon juice. Return mixture to a gentle boil and cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Remove jars from hot water and place on a towel. Reserve pot and water for processing later. Carefully fill the jars with the warm sauce. Wipe rims, top with lids and screw on rings until fingertip tight.
6. Return jars to the large stockpot of warm water used to sterilize the jars, placing on top of a strainer to prevent them from cracking on the bottom. Bring water to a boil. Process jars for 10 minutes at a rolling boil.
7. Remove jars and place on a towel. Let cool to room temperature, tighten rings and label jars.



Today in Spa Cuisine class, I also had the opportunity to work with strawberries. And, yet again, I conquered the fruit. The recipe that I worked with was designed to be low in fat and calories. I made it as the recipe stated, but would mix it up just a bit if I made it again. I loved the flaky phyllo crust, as it was not too filling. It would be a wonderful addition to your Memorial Day picnic! The altered recipe is listed below.

Strawberry Phyllo Tarts: Yields 6 Servings
2 Tbsp canola oil
2 Tbsp honey
1 egg white, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp bread crumbs
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of ground cloves
6 sheets of phyllo dough
2 cups low-fat Greek yogurt, strained through cheese cloth overnight
3 Tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup strawberry jam
2 cups sliced strawberries
mint sprigs, for garnish

1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. In a small bowl, combine canola oil, honey and egg white. Combine bread crumbs, cinnamon and cloves in another small bowl.
3. Lay out phyllo dough and cover with a damp cloth.
4. Place one sheet of phyllo on a sheet of parchment paper. Gently brush with oil/egg mixture and sprinkle with a bit of the bread crumb mixture. Repeat with remaining phyllo sheets, ending with phyllo dough.
5. Cut the dough stack into 6 pieces. Press into lightly oiled small tart pans. Trim edges with kitchen shears.
6. Place on a sheet pan and bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly golden. Cool.
7. Meanwhile, combine strained yogurt and maple syrup.
8. When cool, remove shells from tart pans. Evenly divide the jam among the tart shells, gently spreading over the bottom. Arrange strawberries in concentric circles on top of the jam layer. Place yogurt mixture into a piping bag or plastic bag and pipe a small dollop on the top of each tart. Garnish with a sprig of mint before serving.


Again, the tart recipe was altered slightly from the recipe we made in class. As I have an addiction to homemade ricotta, I might also try filling the tart shells with sweetened whipped ricotta and topping them with strawberry slices. More fun things to play with!

Tomorrow, I hope to pickle the last of the season's ramps and make Apricot Lavender Butter. (My Year of Canning is getting a bit extreme, I know) I am also going to make a dinner Monday night that incorporates local scallops that I purchased at the market today. I'm praying that they don't go bad before then!

Comments