Just can it!

It's official - I am now a canner.

Last night, I started my locorvorian project of preserving seasonal produce so I can enjoy it all year round. Being that I have a tiny studio with no outdoor space in which to grow my own food, I have decided that the next best alternative is purchasing seasonal produce from local farmers and pickling, jamming, or chutney-ing it. I have made small batches of quick pickles and jams in the past, but never with the intent of preserving them and consuming them at a later date (because, let's be honest, I'm an impatient pig). But, after living off of potatoes, onions and beets last winter (which were delicious, don't get me wrong, but tiring after a while), I completely see the necessity of preserving seasonal foods to enjoy in the colder months. It's the obvious thing to do!

So, yesterday I kicked off My Year of Canning with Herb Pickled Asparagus. Tonight I am also finishing my Rhubarb Ginger Jam. Because this is so new to me, I am starting out with small batches to get my feet wet. Also, I do not (yet) own a pressure canner or have a whole lot of space to store my creations long term. I do have some pretty ambitious canning dreams for next week, however!

Here is what I have already learned: It's not as easy as it looks. If your grandma canned, she was one patient and composed woman! You need to have the stove space to sterilize the jars and lids at the same time that you heat your vinegar/salt/sugar mixture. Also, one of those can lifters appears to be almost vital. I kept dropping my sterilized jar back into the boiling water bath, scalding myself each time. In addition, I made the mistake of just using 1 large jar instead of two, thinking it would be easier. Wrong! The jar was heavy and kept dropping into the water bath and it was too tall to stand in the pot with 3 inches of water above it. I had to lay it on it's side instead, which unfortunately prevented the asparagus from remaining submerged in the vinegar solution. My recommendation, if you want to start canning and find it to be a totally alien subject (as I did), get a book first. It will help you to pick out the right equipment and guide you through the steps. Also, they provide helpful tips that I did not see in recipes online. However, now that I have done it once, I feel much more prepared to make my Rhubarb Ginger Jam tonight. Below is the recipe for what I made last night. (I have no clue if it tastes good though!)


Herb Pickled Asparagus: Yields 2 pints
1 and 1/4 lbs asparagus, cut to length of jars
1 cup white wine vinegar
1 cup water
1 Tbsp white sugar
1 tsp salt
2 cloves garlic
2 sprigs fresh thyme
2 sprigs fresh oregano
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 pinches of crushed red pepper flakes

1. Blanch the asparagus in boiling salted water for 1 minute. Shock in cold water. Dry.
2. Sterilize your jars and lids separately in boiling water or in your dishwasher (if it has a sterilize setting). To do this, put them in a large pot of water. Cover and heat them to 180 degrees. Turn off heat until ready to use.
3. Heat vinegar, water, salt and sugar in a small saucepan until simmering. Whisk until dissolved.
4. When jars are ready, remove from the water bath and place on a kitchen towel.
5. Place 1 clove of garlic, one sprig each of thyme, oregano and rosemary, and one pinch of red pepper flakes into each jar. Divide the asparagus between the jars. Top with vinegar solution, making sure to leave 1/2-inch of space at the top.
6. Wipe the rims of the jars. Top with the lid and screw on the ring until finger-tip tight.
7. Place back into the water bath and heat to boiling. Boil for 20 minutes.
8. When done, remove and place back on the towel. Cover them lightly with another kitchen towel, so they do not cool too quickly. Allow to cool for 24 hours. Tighten screw rings and store for 6 months to 1 year.


I wish I knew if these were good, but I have not been able to try them yet. I might have to break into them, test them, and then can some more! Tonight I am making my first batch of jam. It required 24 hours of setting before cooking, so the process was actually begun last night. I'll keep you posted on those successes and failures! I am doing double duty tonight and also making that salmon dinner. It has been a WHILE since I have cooked fish, but it should be a delicious, composed, and fairly-seasonal meal. Pictures and recipes to come!

Comments