Chimmichurri Heaven

I have just discovered the amazingness that is chummichurri and am hooked. Where have you been all of my life? You make EVERYTHING taste like bliss. I bow down to your mastery. I love you.

Maybe it's because I don't eat flank steak (or any other type of meat for that matter) that I have never stumbled upon this glorious sauce before, but boy have I been missing out. When I called my mother to tell her about it, she responded "Chimmi-Whatie?" Honestly, that had been my response too up until yesterday evening. While flipping through a magazine, I stumbled upon a Shrimp Chimmichurri recipe that intrigued me and decided to try my hand at making my own version. I made Grilled Mushrooms with Chimmichurri instead and loved it! I wound up eating the sauce on everything-the grilled corn, the sliced tomatoes...by the spoonful. It was bright and fresh, utilizing many of the leftover herbs I had stored in my fridge from recent culinary expeditions. With the subtle garlic and lemon flavor, it perked up the dish and brought out the flavor of everything I ate it with. After discussing it with some coworkers, I have a feeling that I didn't add enough "heat" to mine, but loved it just the same!

Grilled Mushrooms with Chimmichurri: Yields 4 Servings (unless, like me, you eat all of it in one sitting)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, crushed/minced
salt and pepper, to taste
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
4 portobello mushroom caps
Sliced tomatoes, for serving
Chimmichurri:
2 Tbsp chopped basil
2 Tbsp chopped mint
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
2 Tbsp chopped chives
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
1 Tbsp chopped dill
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 cup olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flake

  1. Whisk together balsamic vinegar, oil, Dijon, garlic, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flake. Gently toss mushrooms in marinade and let sit at least 2 hours, turning occasionally. (I let mine marinate all day-yum!)
  2. Heat grill over medium high heat. Cook mushrooms until tender and "grilled," about 2 minutes per side.
  3. Meanwhile, mix together all chimmichurri ingredients. Readjust seasonings if necessary. Serve over warm grilled mushrooms and sliced tomatoes.

Quinoa with Fava Beans and Sugar Snaps: Yields 4-6 Servings
1 cup quinoa, cooked according to package directions
1 lb fava beans, beans removed from pod
1 lb sugar snap peas, trimmed
2 Tbsp chopped chives
2 Tbsp chopped mint
2 Tbsp chopped basil
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped

Blanch fava beans (still in shell) in boiling salted water for 30-45 seconds. Shock in ice water. Gently remove shells from beans. Blanch sugar snap peas for 30-45 seconds, or until crisp tender, and shock in ice water as well. Drain thoroughly. Mix both favas and sugar snaps into quinoa along with remaining ingredients. Serve warm.


Golly, I hope you enjoy these. Again, I just served them with sliced heirloom tomatoes and corn on the cob for a summertime meal. Super simple and minimal cooking required (aka less time standing in front of a hot stove-hallelujah). Hope you all are staying cool in your kitchens! Not doing too much more cooking this week at home, but I am going to make my final meal in culinary school on Wednesday night. The big final. Wahoo!!!! I can almost call myself a Culinary School Grad (not that I would necessarily use those words, but still. Vegetarian Culinary God has a nice ring to it though). Now, if I can just find a job cooking food that I enjoy...

Comments