Recipe Contest Finalist

Be forewarned, this is totally a bragging post.

I found out last week that I am a finalist in a recipe contest. Heck yes!! If you have been following for a while, you might recall my practicing for the Chef's Challenge 2010 for Vegetarian Times Magazine a few months ago. I practiced and tested tons of recipes for weeks. But in the end, I procrastinated and barely got a submission in under the wire. It wasn't any of the fancy things I had been practicing, but was actually a side dish that I had made the very same week. I submitted the recipe for Braised Radishes on a whim and ended up making the finals with it! While it wasn't a very difficult recipe, it showcased simple, local and fresh flavors. Who would have known that out of hundreds of submissions, the lowly radish would even qualify for the race. Radish Power!

Now, being a finalist is an honor. It is definitely a resume builder and is totally occupational validation. Even more so, I am proud of the delicious flavor that the radishes and radish greens achieved through the recipe. However, winning my category would be "da bomb." It would be sweeter than sweet. It would be...saltwater taffy sweet (meaning it would be super awesome).

The next phase of the contest is reader voting. It is open to the general public, which is invited to read and try all of the finalist's recipes and vote for their favorite in each of the categories. I am featured in the Sides category along with 2 other finalists. I will say, the competition is stiff. Both of the other recipes sound creative and delicious. (I might be just trying to be a good sport) Mine is slightly simple in comparison, but easily superior. (Ha! Good sport who??) Any readers out their in cyberspace, I would greatly appreciate your support in this competition. It would be a great honor to win, and would truly help me in my quest for future culinary employment. Even better, the voters are entered into a contest to win a gift basket of organic chocolate! Woo, free chocolate! Should you feel so inclined, the link to the voting is http://www.vegetariantimes.com/features/940. The voting button is at the bottom of your page. No pressure, but it would be wonderful to have your support. Thank you for viewing and voting in advance! You (unknown readers of cyberspace) rock!

Now that we are over that, I am currently "chillin out, maxing, relaxing all cool" in Massachusetts. (10 points if you can name that theme song) I have had some delicious food while I have been here, especially seafood. The lobster is too wonderful for words. But, even with all of the delicious food out there to discover on the shore, I actually ended up cooking dinner for my boyfriend and his family this evening. Go figure. The meal was super simple and beachy, but appeared to win over the crowd. Once I get back to city civilization, I should have the photos and recipes for you. Be sure to check back soon!

Other cooking intentions for the upcoming week also include a practice meal for my final cooking exam, and at least 2 different types of preserves. (I've become a bit to lax in keeping up with My Year of Canning and have to pick it up a bit) The big event, however, is my Friday Night Dinner entitled Un, Deux, Trois at school this Friday night. It is the main event. The big tada. The whole shebang. The pinacle of my year in culinary school. If I can't make it there, I can't make it anywhere. Wish my group and I luck, but I have confidence that our dinner will be "tres magnifique." Look out world, here we come.

Comments