Simple Swordfish

Hola...Bonjour...Guten Tag...Yokito Taco Bell...Hi!

It has been ages since we chatted last. Sorry for my absence-school and life have been a bit encompassing. But, I have finally completed culinary school!! Graduation is this Friday (yeah, yeah) and then I start my internship in August. I still cannot believe that it is basically over. First it was the Friday Night Dinner (for which I still have yet to post pictures and recipes-sorry! I'm a lazy bones) and then the exam (I passed!!) and now this...the finale. One final dinner that I get to attend instead of cook and then it's "Look out world-Here she comes!" This has been the experience of a lifetime and I wouldn't change it for anything in the world. Bleh. I'm getting sappy and sentimental.

Change of subject. Yesterday I finally got in my kitchen and made dinner. I had a few leftover ingredients and thought I should make something simply fabulous (or at least wonderfully edible). I ended up making Apricot and Balsamic-Glazed Swordfish, Herbed Zucchini and Basmatti Rice Pilaf with Cherries and Almonds. The meal was quite refreshing and satisfying, even if my sugar-loving boyfriend had to find chocolate chip cookies afterwards to "cap it off." Even better, there weren't too many ingredients for once!! Baller. Check out the recipes below:

Apricot and Balsamic-Glazed Swordfish: Yields 4 Servings
1/4 cup apricot jam
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 swordfish steaks, rinsed and patted dry
salt and pepper

Heat oven to 375. Mix together jam and vinegar in a small bowl. Lightly oil a baking sheet with the olive oil. Place steaks on the baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Evenly divide jam amongst steaks and spread to coat. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until desired doneness.


Herbed Zucchini: Yields 4 Servings
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 large zucchini (1 to 1 and 1/2 lbs), sliced into half moons
salt and pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp mint, chiffonade
1 Tbsp basil, chiffonade

Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add garlic and sweat for 1-2 minutes. Add zucchini, increase heat to medium-high, and cook until tender and golden. Season to taste with salt and pepper and toss with herbs right before serving.


Basmatti Rice Pilaf with Cherries and Almonds: Yields 4 Servings
1 Tbsp butter 1 cup basmatti rice, rinsed and drained
1 and 3/4 cup boiling water
salt, to taste
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted

In a small saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add rice and toast for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant. Stir in water and salt, bringing to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer, cover, and let steam for 15-20 minutes, or until all of the liquid has been absorbed. Stir in cherries and almonds.


Again, these were Simple recipes. It has just been a bit too hot to be stuck in the kitchen. Hope you enjoy them though! Tonight I am participating in "Restaurant Week" for the first time ever by going to the David Burke Townhouse for dinner. I know that the restaurants make their easiest dishes for Restaurant Week (and even dumb them down further), but needless to say, my expectations are still unreasonably high. It's David Burke!! How can they not be? I'll be sure to update you on how it goes (yet another blog post it will take me weeks to get to-sorry!). Stay cool.

Comments

  1. Hey Abbey! Marco and I are cooking swordfish tonight and we are going to use your recipe, but of course substituting everything because don't have any of the ingredients except the swordfish! I'll let you know how it goes! -Carrie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment