Fall...Finally!

I think the cooler weather has finally set in. I'm hoping there are no more 80+ degree days in our near future, as we just took the air conditioner out of the window and I have broken out the slow cooker. Cross your fingers! Over the weekend, I went on an amazing field trip to the North Fork of Long Island. After our long week of rain, I admit I had my doubts about the trip. But, the weather turned out to be beautiful. It was a perfect day to spend enjoying freshly-harvested oysters on the half shell (my first!), cheese, and local wines. I also had another first on the trip: I milked my first goat! Well, I actually milked my first anything, which just so happened to be a goat. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. All I did was "trap and squeeze" and out the milk came. (Sorry this is getting a little graphic) Anyhoo, I was very proud of myself and of the goat for not kicking me while I violated it's udders.


The first dinner this week is an ode to fall: Roasted Butternut Squash and Sage Risotto with Braised Greens (recipe already posted) and Roasted Mushrooms. Not a very complex meal, but as I'm sure you've noticed, I going for simple yet sophisticated weeknight meals lately. Hope you find it to be both!

Roasted Butternut Squash and Sage Risotto: Yields 4 Servings
1 lb butternut squash, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 T olive oil
1 T maple syrup
salt and pepper, to taste
2 T butter
1 small Vidalia onion, small dice
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T fresh sage leaves, chiffonade (plus extra for garnish)
1 cup Arborio rice
1 cup white wine
3 cups vegetable stock, heated
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (plus additional for garnish)

1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Toss squash cubes with olive oil, maple, salt and pepper. Pour onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast, turning occasionally, until tender and brown, about 20 minutes.
2. In a wide saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion and sweat until translucent. Add garlic and sage, cooking until fragrant and tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in rice, coating with butter and cooking for 1-2 minutes.
3. Pour in wine, stirring until completely absorbed. Add a large ladle of stock. Stir until completely absorbed. Continue with remaining stock, cooking until rice is tender and risotto is creamy.
4. Stir in roasted squash and Parmesan cheese. Readjust seasonings, if necessary, before serving and garnish with chiffonaded sage and Parmesan, if desired.

Optional: This would also be delicious topped with fried sage leaves!


Roasted Mushrooms: Yields 4 Servings
1/2 lb cremini mushrooms, quartered
1/4 lb shiitake mushrooms, quartered
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 T olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste

Heat oven to 425. Toss all ingredients and pour onto a rimmed baking sheet. Roast 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until tender and golden.


Besides another tasty dinner this week, I don't really have any other cooking planned. I do, however, have a full on 3 course dinner planned for the weekend. Definitely something for you to look forward to.

Comments