Quintessential Quiche

Quiche is one of those well-known but rarely-made dishes. First, there's the crust: you have to make the dough, roll it out, par-bake it... basically it's a total hassle. Then, there's the filling: for the most part, it's full of calories and super heavy. A health-conscious person's nightmare. But, this past week, I took on quiche and set out to change it's reputation. I wanted to bring quiche back and give it an overdue makeover. The result was Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Quiche, served alongside a Kale Salad with Golden Raisins and Marcona Almonds tossed in a Maple Dijon Dressing. The meal was delicious and much simpler than the name would imply.

Before I present the recipes, I should warn you that I do not own a pie plate nor do I really want one at this point (I make a whole lot more tarts and cakes than I do pie). So, I used a large non-stick skillet to prepare the quiche with instead. The result was fantastic! I had a handle to easily remove the quiche from the oven, a lid to cover it to help it cook evenly, and easy removal from the pan because of the non-stick surface. I should note, however, that if you are going to use this method, make sure that you have plastic or non-metal utensils to remove your wedges of quiche with. If you are like me and are devoid of a pie pan, you might enjoy this method of quiche-mastery. Now... let the quiching begin!

Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Quiche: Yields 6-8 Servings
2 lbs butternut squash
2 T olive oil
1 Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
2 sprigs fresh thyme
salt and pepper
1 recipe Gluten-Free Flaky Pastry (recipe already posted)
2 T chiffonaded sage
4 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/4 t nutmeg
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1. Heat oven to 450. Cut squash in half and place cut-side down on a baking sheet. Roast for 30-40 minutes, or until tender. Let cool, scoop flesh out of the skin, and slice into 1/4-1/2 inch pieces.
2. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and thyme and sweat until translucent. Increase heat to medium-high and cook until caramelized; season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Reduce oven temperature to 400. Roll out dough on a lightly-floured surface to a 9-inch circle. Place in a greased pie plate; dock with a fork and bake for 5 minutes.
4. Assemble quiche: Fill crust first with the onion. Sprinkle with sage and top with slices of roasted squash; season to taste with salt and pepper. Whisk together eggs, milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Pour over filling. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
5. Cover quiche. Bake for 15 minutes, remove cover, and continue baking until eggs are set. Let cool slightly before cutting and serving.


Kale Salad with Golden Raisins and Marcona Almonds: Yields 4 Servings
1 large bunch kale (about 12-16 oz), coarsely chopped
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup Marcona almonds, toasted
1 recipe Maple Dijon Dressing (recipe listed below)

Toss all ingredients and serve.


Maple Dijon Dressing: Yields 4 Servings
1 T Dijon mustard
2 T maple syrup
1 T apple cider vinegar
2 T olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste

Combine Dijon, maple and vinegar in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.


Hope you like this lighter autumn-inspired quiche! You will be glad to know that the Gluten-Free Upside-Down Pear Gingerbread was a total hit!!! It was tender but not crumbly, as most gluten-free baked goods are. The caramelized pears added a wonderful moistness and sweetness, counter-balancing the slight spiciness of the gingerbread very nicely. Also, it was airy, unlike the dense gingerbread I remember from my childhood. Basically, I fell in love. The smell perfumed my apartment for hours, and the taste lingered in my mind long after I finished eating it. Now, unfortunately, I will not be sharing the recipe for it just yet. Each year, I include a recipe in my holiday card, and this recipe might be the perfect addition to this year's. Don't worry though- I'll be sure to post it closer to the holidays!! For now, you will just have to dream gingerbread dreams. :)

Comments