Honorary Indian

I might have over-stepped the boundary of political correctness just a little with the title. I am far from ethnic or cultured. I've never really left the country, don't know my cultural heritage, and while I think I'm ghetto, the rest of the world seems to be on to my ploy. But, last Sunday night, I attempted to find my Indian roots. They might not be strong, but I'm pretty sure they're there. Otherwise, the Indian Food Fairy magically came down and helped me make an amazing dinner. (I'm hoping the former, but the latter would be pretty sweet too!)


One of my all-time favorite foods, at least lately, is Biryani. Rice and vegetables cooked with coconut milk, ground almonds, raisins and aromatic herbs and spices. When you throw in some chickpeas, it's a vegetarian's heaven! So, Sunday night I prepared my own version: Roasted Acorn Squash Stuffed with Autumn Biryani. To go with it, I made my favorite Braised Collards (recipe already posted) and Saffron Yogurt Sauce. The meal was super warming and satisfying for Autumn's end.

Roasted Acorn Squash Stuffed with Autumn Biryani: Yields 6 Servings
3 medium acorn squash, halved lengthwise and seeds/fibers removed
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup brown basmatti rice
3 T ghee, coconut oil OR canola oil
2 T minced garlic
1 T minced ginger
1 Vidalia onion, medium diced
2-3 T Garam Masala (plus more if desired)
10 oz frozen mixed vegetables (Preferably one with cauliflower, peas and green beans)
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup ground almonds or almond meal
1 can coconut milk
1/2 t saffron, dissolved in 2 T water

1. Heat oven to 400. Sprinkle squash with salt and pepper and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Roast for 40 minutes, or until tender.
2. Meanwhile, bring 1 3/4 cups salted water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add rice, return to a boil, and then reduce heat to a low simmer. Cover and cook until liquid has been absorbed and rice is tender, about 30 minutes.
3. In a Dutch oven, heat ghee or oil over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger; sweat for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant. Add onion and Garam Masala. Saute until translucent and tender.
4. Scoop most of the flesh out of the squash, leaving a 1/4-1/2 inch thick shell. Add to onion mixture, along with the frozen vegetables, chickpeas and raisins. Cook until vegetables have thawed and most of the excess moisture has evaporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in ground almonds and cook for 1 minute. Pour in coconut milk and simmer until liquid thickens, about 7 minutes.
5. Stir in rice and saffron. Cover and transfer pan to 350 degree oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until liquid has thickened/absorbed.
6. Sprinkle squash shells with salt and pepper and reheat in oven until warm. Spoon finished Biryani into shells and serve.
Note: I used frozen vegetables as a short-cut for. If you have the time and drive, you can absolutely use fresh vegetables. Just cut them into bite-sized pieces and quickly blanch them before adding.


Saffron Yogurt Sauce: Yields 4-6 Servings
1/2 t saffron dissolved in 2 T water
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt

Mix together to combine. Thin with additional water if necessary.


Hope you like this Indian-inspired menu! I made another meal last week, but am not sure if I'll be able to post the recipes before Christmas. If not, you'll have Balsamic Roasted Portobellos, Parmesan Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans with Caramelized Shallots, and Horseradish Cream to look forward to after the holiday!

Comments

Post a Comment