Simple Post-Thanksgiving Meal

Happy Thursday fellow bloggers and web browsers. I am a little behind in my blogging. By that, I mean that I am like 2 weeks behind. Work has been kicking my patootie and I have been sick since Sunday. You know when you have a cold and you feel like your head is in a fog? I have this to an extreme. This morning, I was getting ready to go to the gym but was a little lethargic. When I heard my boyfriend's alarm clock go off, I realized that I was totally late in leaving and freaked out. So, I just grabbed my purse and hustled to the door. I speed walked in the cold all the way to the gym, got my towel at the front desk and headed straight to the lockers to get on with my work out. It wasn't until I had taken off my winter gear that I realized that in my sickly-brain fog of the morning, I had completely forgotten my gym bag. Backtracking took even more time, so if I thought I was late at 6:00 AM, I was at that point totally tardy. On the bright side, I was wide awake by the time I actually started my workout! :)


But, enough of my sob story. On to cooking!! I am on a little hiatus until I'm well again, but I did make a simple and tasty meal last week that I'd love to share with you. We enjoyed Wild Rice with Sauteed Mushrooms along with Parmesan Roasted Broccoli. It was earthy, wintry, and warming in this cool time of year.

Wild Rice with Sauteed Mushrooms: Yields 4 Servings
1 cup wild rice
2 T butter (use olive oil if making vegan)
1 T olive oil
1 Vidalia onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic
10 oz Cremini mushrooms, sliced
10 oz mixed gourmet mushrooms, sliced
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup white wine
2 T fresh thyme leaves
2 T creme fraiche (optional, omit if making vegan)
truffle oil (optional garnish)

1. Prepare rice according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat butter and olive oil in a large high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sweat until translucent. Add garlic, cooking until fragrant.
3. Increase heat to medium-high and add mushrooms to pan. Cook until liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are starting to caramelize. Season with salt and pepper, pour in wine, and add thyme to pan; cook until no liquid remains.
4. Add rice to pan, along with creme fraiche. Readjust seasonings, if necessary, and drizzle with truffle oil before serving.


Parmesan Roasted Broccoli: Yields 4 Servings
1 lb broccoli florets
2 T olive oil
salt and pepper
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Heat oven to 400. Toss broccoli with olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour onto a sheet pan and roast for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with garlic and cheese, and continue baking for 5 minutes, or until cheese bubbles.


This meal was super easy to prepare and also super satisfying. Hope you enjoy the recipes! I'm finding that I have less and less time to actually make dinners lately, so gear up for more of these simple meals.

Comments