Not The Blue Can...

Growing up, biscuits came from a blue can. Sometimes, they even came from the freezer section. But never, I mean never, were they made from scratch. Let's be honest, Pillsbury makes a fairly reliable product. In a pinch (as we always were), they were perfect. Culinary school changed everything (at least in the breakfast bread category). What I once thought was perfect, I quickly learned was actually mediocre in comparison to the real deal: biscuits made from scratch. They were lighter and flakier. I could control the quality of the ingredients that went into them. I could feel the dough between my hands as I folded and rolled it out. It was ethereal.

Then I found out that I couldn't have gluten anymore... and I died a little inside. How in the world was I to make biscuits without gluten? Would they be flaky? Would they puff up? Would I just have to learn to live a life without the glory of buttermilk biscuits? Heck no! I would find a way to make something similar that even a gluten-free culinarian could enjoy. I knew they wouldn't be the same thing of my memories and biscuit dreams, but I hoped that they would at least be delicious. So I made them: Gluten-Free Buttermilk Biscuits. They were AMAZING! They didn't necessary "flake," but they did puff up and pull apart like a normal biscuit. I was excited that they didn't crumble easily, as many gluten-free goods do. The top was crisp and browned and the flavor was spot on. This was an awesome achievement in the gluten-free baking world for me. Now, normally I would share the recipe, but my other half has advised that I keep this one for my future bakery or cookbook. If you're desperate to enjoy them, I'll provide it upon request :)

Now, for some, great biscuits would be enough. But not for this chef! I wanted to make them into something even more special (if that was even possible). The result was another fun "breakfast for dinner" meal.

Biscuit Sandwiches: Yields 4 Servings
4 prepared biscuits
1/4 cup Strawberry Vanilla Bean Jam (recipe already posted)
4 slices aged white Cheddar cheese
1 Granny Smith apple, sliced
4 over-easy eggs
Steamed greens (to serve)

Slice biscuits in half. Spread 1 T of jam on one half of the biscuit and melt one slice of cheese on the other half. On top of the jam, lay a couple slices of apple and one egg. Top with the cheesy half and serve with steamed greens.


These sandwiches were fun and different. Pat, my boyfriend, said that this might have been his new favorite meal to date! The yolk makes a yummy accompaniment for the greens and last bites of biscuit. Feel free to try other combinations based on what you have in your pantry or what is in season.

Comments