Potato, Potato, Potato

This post is going to be a bit shorter, as I have a nasty headache.

Last night, I ceremoniously used up the rest of my potatoes. They were just staring at me: red and gold. Little eyes starting to grow on them. Spooky. So, I put an end to the beginnings of the horror movie in my fridge and decided to make something delicious. But what to make? Mashed, baked, wedges, fries, stuffed... too many options. I finally decided upon testing my "foolproof" gratin recipe once more, but with a little twist of course. I made Truffled Potato Gratin (oh yeah) with Sauteed Spinach and Roasted Exotic Mushrooms (recipe posted as Roasted Mushrooms with the substitution of mixed exotic mushrooms). The meal was awesome! And yet again, the gratin turned out perfectly. I am declaring myself Gratin Master.

Truffled Potato Gratin: Yields 4-6 Servings
1 head garlic, top cut off
3 lbs red or golden potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced on a mandolin
1 small can white truffle and mushroom paste
1/2 cup + 2 T grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup milk (I use almond milk)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 egg

1. Heat oven to 375. Wrap garlic in foil and roast for 1 hour, or until tender and caramelized. Cool.
2. Meanwhile, grease an 8x8-inch pan. Lay one overlapping layer of potatoes in bottom of pan. Top with 1/3 of the truffle paste, 2 T Parmesan cheese, and salt/pepper to taste.
3. Top with 2 more layers of overlapping potatoes. Spread with another third of the truffle paste, 2 T Parmesan cheese, and salt/pepper. Repeat layers. Finish with one layer of overlapping potatoes.
4. Squeeze garlic cloves out of skin into a small bowl. Mash with a fork. Whisk in milk, cream and egg. Pour over the gratin and sprinkle with salt/pepper and remaining Parmesan cheese.
5. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes at 375. Uncover and bake for an additional 20 minutes. Let cool for 3-5 minutes before slicing.


I know that truffle and mushroom paste might be a bit hard to come by. I found it at my local Italian market, but have seen it before in a variety of specialty stores as well. I'm pretty sure it could easily be replaced with chopped mushrooms sauteed in truffle butter. Either way, I hope you enjoy. I'll be making a simpler meal tomorrow night incorporating one of my favorite foods that I've preserved: beets. I'm opening another jar of my Pickled Beet Relish and using it in a new way. Check back for the story!

Comments