A Second Try at Shepherd's Pie

It's pretty chilly this weekend in NY. The high today was 22 degrees before windchill. When I went to the gym in the morning, it was scorching 12 degrees. However, I know that those temps are nothing in comparison to my home state of Minnesota. You don't know cold until you've lived through a Minnesota winter. I found out today that in MN, kids are actually allowed to play outside for recess as long as the temperature is -15 degrees or above. -15 degrees! Now THAT's cold! But whether polar bear or winter wimp, this time of year definitely warrants warm comforting food. This is where the meal begins...

Last time I made Shepherd's Pie, it was summer. The flavors were bright, a bit more acidic, and bold. It was packed with summer produce, such as eggplant, tomatoes and zucchini. This time was a little different. It's winter and the ground has frozen. We're currently cooking with root cellar vegetables and the pickin's are a little slim. But, even with a limited supply of vegetables at Green Market, I managed to craft a seasonal recipe that is hearty and warming for the cold winter ahead. (Sorry to burst your bubble, but those "End of Winter Clearance Sales" are lying. There is a lot more cold to come)

Winter Shepherd's Pie Topped with Mashed Rutabaga and Crispy Shallots: Yields 4 Servings
3 lb rutabaga, peeled and large diced
2 T unsalted butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
salt, to taste
2 T olive oil
1 onion, medium diced
1 carrot, peeled and medium diced
1 parsnip, peeled and medium diced
1/4 lb Brussels sprouts, halved
10 oz Cremini mushrooms, sliced 1/4-inch thin
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3 sprigs fresh thyme
2 cups cooked lentils
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup red wine
1 T gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
2 t prepared horseradish
1 T balsamic vinegar
1 recipe Crispy Shallots (recipe already posted)

1. Place rutabaga in a large saucepan and cover with water. Cover pan and bring to a boil. Cook until rutabaga is tender, about 25-30 minutes. Drain and transfer to a food processor. Add butter, cream and salt to taste; pulse, scraping down sides occasionally, until mixture is incorporated and mostly smooth.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large high-sided skillet (sautier)over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, parsnip, Brussels sprouts and mushrooms and sweat for 2-3 minutes. Add in garlic, thyme, lentils, salt and pepper; cook until garlic is fragrant. Pour in wine, Worcestershire sauce and horseradish. Cover pan and cook until vegetables are tender. Uncover pan and cook until liquid has evaporated and vegetables are caramelized. Stir in balsamic vinegar and readjust seasonings.
3. Transfer vegetable and lentil mixture to a large casserole dish and top with mashed rutabaga. If preparing in advance, reheat in a 350 degree oven. Sprinkle with Crispy Shallots before serving.


This was a great vegetarian version of traditional Shepherd's pie. Hope you like it too! I am currently working on a new project- cake decorating. Now, I've done simple things before, such as a shell border, but I've never made a cake in the likeness of one you'd see on Ace of Cakes. While I know that it won't be of the same caliber (who am I kidding, it won't even be close), I hope that it will be a learning experience and a fun first attempt. Today I assembled my test cake. I worked with fondant for the first time, and was able to practice adding/mixing colors and covering cakes with it. Next week I'll make the actual final product and submit it to my first cake competition. Ahh! I'm a bit nervous as most of the other entrants are experienced bakers and cake decorators, but everyone has to start somewhere! Wish me luck!

Comments