Fun-day Friday

As many and most of you know, I am a work-a-holic. Therefore, as I am currently (and hopefully temporarily) out of work, I am trying to embrace my free time. Today, after getting some much-needed R&R, I worked out at Crunch until my muscles burned, grocery shopped (which is honestly one of my favorite things to do), job searched, and cooked a delicious vegetarian meal. I don't know if I have ever had this much time to myself, and I have got to admit, while it's boring and expensive, I sort of enjoy it. I have done more menu-planning this past week than I have my entire time in NY. Woot! Now, I just need to work on getting money to pay for these extravagant menus and I'll be back in business :)

For dinner tonight, I made a Chickpea Flatcake topped with Lemon and Honey Roasted Root Vegetables. I adapted the recipe from a cookbook I had, and greatly enjoyed it. The sweet and tart flavor of the roasted vegetables contrasted nicely with the earthy and smokey flavor of the flatcake. I might mix up the vegetables next time with celery root, rutabaga, turnip, or Jerusalem artichokes. Try it out!

Lemon and Honey Roasted Root Vegetables: Serves 5 or 6
1 lb carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch bias or batons
1 lb parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch bias or batons
3 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp honey
3 Tbsp lemon juice (for me, this was the juice of 1 and 1/2 lemons)
grated zest of 1 lemon
salt and pepper

On a rimmed baking sheet (if one doesn't fit in your oven like mine, use a large roasting pan or two), combine all ingredients and toss. Roast at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes, turning occasionally, or until golden brown.

While vegetables are roasting, prepare the Chickpea Flatcake. Recipe below.

Chickpea Flatcake: Serves 6
4 Tbsp olive oil
3 large onions (or 2 jumbo onions, like I had), finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 tsp cumin seeds
3 cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
salt and pepper

1. Heat half of the olive oil in a large sautee pan. Add the onions, cooking over medium high heat for about 10 minutes, or until sweated and just starting to brown. Add the garlic and cumin seeds, cooking and extra 2-3 minutes.
2. Remove from the heat and add to a large bowl, along with the chickpeas and salt and pepper. Mash the mixture with a hand masher or lightly in a food processor. The result should be a chunky mixture that can still be pressed and holds its shape.
3. Press mixture into a lightly greased tart or tort pan, preferably one with a removable base. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes, also at 375. Remove the foil, cover with olive oil, and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until just golden. Be careful not to let the cake get too dry. Remove from oven and let cool slightly and firm up. Cut wedges of cake and top with roasted vegetables. Garnish with parsley or lemon zest, if desired.

Hope you enjoy! I know I will be enjoying it for 5 more days.

Tomorrow is Fish Day. 6 hours of fin fish. I'm keeping my social calendar open afterwards - stinky fish smell usually isn't a turn-on. Recipes to come.

Comments