Curry Spice and Everything Nice

I was going to make some obnoxious joke about Tim Curry being related to Indian Curry Powder, but I respect the man too much. I mean have you seen the video "Anything Can Happen on Halloween" on youtube.com yet? Corniest video brillance ever.

I appologize for being so tardy in posting these recipes. Work and allergies had engulfed my life.
Bad (humbling) moment of the week: had to make a super-absorbant tampon run for a client.
Good moment of the week: Almost ran smack into Bonnie Hunt (which could have been a bad moment had I actually ran into her).

My Rhubarb Cherry Chutney (recipe already posted) had been staring at me from my cabinet shelf. Everytime I open it, the jars seem to be saying "eat me with something spicy and creamy...or just eat me!" I spent all that time making it the other week and had yet to enjoy its culinary goodness. So this week, I pulled down one of those jars. I made a spring Indian/Moroccan-inspired menu to both compliment and contrast the delicious chutney. The meal consisted of Curried Greens and Chickpeas and Coconut Basmati Rice served with the amazing Rhubarb Cherry Chutney. To start the meal, I also made a Roasted Carrot Dip with curry spiced naan bread (the naan was courtesy of Trader Joe's).


Curried Greens and Chickpeas: Yields 4 Servings
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 sweet vidalia onion, small dice
2 cloves garlic, minced (or 5 bulbs of spring garlic)
1/2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
1 14-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 lb spring greens, washed, stems and leaves chopped and separated
1 14 oz can coconut milk
salt, to taste
1-2 Tbsp curry powder
pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp smoked paprika

Blanch stems of greens in boiling salted water for 30 sec-1 minute and shock in cold water. Repeat with leaves, cooking only until wilted. Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sweat until translucent. Add garlic, ginger and chickpeas, cooking for 1-2 minutes longer. To the pan, add greens, coconut milk, salt and spices. Simmer until greens and chickpeas are tender. Readjust seasonings, if necessary.


Coconut Basmati Rice: Yields 4 Servings
1 cup white basmati rice
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup water
salt, to taste
1/2-inch piece of ginger, peeled
1/4 cup shredded coconut, toasted (if using unsweetened coconut, you might want to add 2 Tbsp honey to the rice to sweeten it up)

In a small saucepan, combine rice, coconut milk, water, salt and ginger. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 30-40 minutes, or until tender and liquid has been absorbed. Top with toasted coconut flakes.


Roasted Carrot Dip: Yields 4-6 Servings
2-3 large carrots, peeled and medium diced
1 Tbsp olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
1 Tbsp ground cumin
salt and pepper, to taste
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small container (5-6 oz) low-fat greek yogurt
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
naan or sliced veggies, to serve

1. Heat oven to 375.
2. Toss carrots with olive oil, salt, pepper, and cumin. Pour onto a sheet pan and roast, stirring occasionally, until brown and tender, about 35 minutes. Let cool slightly.
3. Place roasted carrots, garlic, yogurt, and additional salt and pepper in a food processor. Puree until smooth.
4. Before serving, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.


Hope you enjoy this meal as much as I did! It was hearty and well-balanced in nutrients, flavors and textures. I have no earthly idea what I will make next week. Inspiration still to come.

I will conclude today's post with a quote from Tim Curry in Rocky Horror Picture Show, "Don't dream it, be it." Wise words my friends - especially from a "sweet transvestite."

Comments