Two Peas in a Pod

Peas, while sometimes getting a bad rep for stench, are a classic American side dish. They are adored by toddlers alike and can be classed-up for even the finest of diners. Fresh peas, often unlike their frozen counterparts, are vibrant, sweet, crisp-tender, fresh, tart...um, delicious... Basically, they kick butt. When I saw them at the market last weekend, I simply couldn't resist. Prepared simply with some fresh herbs and a light vinaigrette, they totally pleased the palate and satisfied the stomach. To go along with them (because, let's be honest, they were the star of the show in my eye), I roasted some fingerling potatoes and baked a scrumptious salmon. Check it out below:

Two Pea Salad with Herbs and Lemon Vinaigrette: Yields 4 Servings
1 lb sugar snap peas, trimmed
1/2 lb English peas, shelled
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp honey
juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepper, to taste
2-4 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp chopped mint
2 Tbsp chopped basil

Blanch and shock both the sugar snap peas and English peas. Chill. In a small bowl, whisk together Dijon, honey, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Slowly drizzle in olive oil. Right before serving, toss peas with dressing, mint and basil. Serve immediately.


Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Cippolini Onions: Yields 4 Servings
1 lb baby fingerling potatoes, cleaned
1/2 lb cippolini onions, peeled and halved
1 Tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste

Heat oven to 375. Toss together potatoes, onions, olive oil, salt and pepper and pour onto a half-sheet pan. Roast, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden (about 30 minutes).


Cherry Topped Salmon: Yields 4 Servings
1/2 lbs cherries, pitted and chopped
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp brown sugar
salt and pepper, to taste
olive oil, to grease the pan
4 skinless salmon fillets

1. Heat oven to 350.
2. In a small saucepan, combine cherries, balsamic, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook until cherries are tender and sauce has reduced.
3. Place salmon fillets on a lightly-greased half-sheet pan. Blot dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Evenly divide the cherry mixture on top of the fillets and bake for 20 minutes, or until desired doneness.


These recipes were so simple!! I think you will enjoy them at home. My one recommendation is to use fresh fish. I, for some terribly idiotic reason, decided to try out flash-frozen wild salmon. It sounded pretty good in theory (even salmon for sushi is often previously frozen), but was awful in actuality. It was water-logged and tough. But hey, you never know until you try!

Other than making this dinner this week (ahem, on Monday), I have not had the chance to get creative in the kitchen at all. I don't even have a small batch of jam to show for a good week's work. All I have is sore feet, a knot in my shoulder, and a craving for frozen yogurt. But, I have high hopes for next week. My intention: Cherry Jam and a Moroccan-Inspired dinner. Ah, we'll have to see.

Oh, I almost forgot - I'm going to a rhubarb festival on Sunday!!! I am so freakin' excited I could bounce right out of my chair (if I had any energy to bounce that is). It is taking place at a winery in Connecticut. That is the other exciting part: not only will there be amazing dishes showcasing rhubarb, but there will be fruit wines, such as rhubarb (go figure!), blackberry and cassis. Holey Moley. Foodie Heaven. Now, if only this will live up to my obviously high expectations. Photos to come :)

Comments