Tribute to Lemon-Thyme

Basically, I took on lemon-thyme this past week/weekend. While it's still a little early in the season, the lemon-thyme at the farmer's market was just too beautiful and fragrant to pass up. My original intention was just to use it in Cherry and Lemon-Thyme Marmalade. But after discovering its sweet herbal flavor, I couldn't help but make it the star in yet another dish. (I mean, hello-it's lemon-thyme. It just sounds fancy!) As spring is quickly coming to a close (made obvious by the bounty of zucchini and tomatoes already popping up at the farmer's market), I decided to pair it with the last of the season's rhubarb. I love rhubarb's tart flavor and thought it would pair well with an Olive Oil and Lemon-Thyme Cake. The actual dinner is tomorrow night, but I took the time to prepare these two items in advance. Both of these recipes will be used/featured in a blog post yet to come. Of course this means you will just have to check back again soon!


Cherry and Lemon-Thyme Marmalade: Yields 4 Half-Pints
1 and 1/2 oranges, cut into wedges, seeds removed, and thinly sliced
4 cups pitted cherries
4 Tbsp lemon juice
3 cups + 3 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp fresh lemon thyme leaves

  1. Place one plate in the freezer to test for gelling. Clean and sterilize 4 half-pint jars.
  2. Place oranges, cherries and lemon juice in a medium saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
  3. Add sugar and lemon-thyme, increase heat, and boil for 25 minutes. Stir frequently to prevent sticking.
  4. Test for gelling using the frozen plate.
  5. When ready, remove hot sterilized jars from water bath (reserving water) and place on a towel. Carefully ladle marmalade into jars. Wipe rims, top with lids and screw on rings.
  6. Place back in the water bath, bring to a boil, and process for 25 minutes. Remove from water and allow to come before room temperature before tightening rings and labeling.

Olive Oil and Lemon-Thyme Cake: Yields 8-10 Servings
2 eggs
1 cup sugar (plus more for sprinkling)
juice of 1 lemon
zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour (or half AP and half whole wheat)
3 tsp baking powder
1 cup Greek yogurt
1/2 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp lemon thyme leaves (plus more for sprinkling)
  1. Heat oven to 350. Butter and flour an 8 or 9-inch cake pan.
  2. Beat together eggs and sugar until pale and creamy. Add lemon juice, zest and vanilla, stirring until combined.
  3. In a separate bowl, sift together flour and baking powder. Fold into egg mixture.
  4. Stir in Greek yogurt, then olive oil. Add lemon-thyme leaves, stirring until just incorporated.
  5. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 45 minutes, or until golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before removing from pan.


So, while I was baking this lovely cake, I ran into a bit of a completely-avoidable problem. It is absolutely my own fault - I should have completed my mis en place before I started (aka I should have gotten all of my "shit" together before beginning). Everything was going along so well. I was mixing, sifting, and incorporating as planned...until I had to add the olive oil. I went to measure the olive oil when I discovered that I only had 1/4 cup left. 1/4 cup!!! In a panic, I turned off the oven and flew out the door (almost tripping down the steep stairs in the process) in a mad search for organic olive oil. Now mind you, everything in my neighborhood is overpriced and bank-breaking. The first grocery store I stopped in was charging $9 for a non-organic 5 oz bottle. Heck no! I like olive oil, and I REALLY like cake, but not for that price! This caused me to curse under my breath and continue running from store to store in search of the elixir of life. Once I eventually found one, I ran home to find my cake batter had become glutenous and the baking powder already well into activation. Cue second panic. By this point, I was panting, sweating over my batter, and all-around freaking out about ruining the cake.


In the end, however, it turned out. The cake baked up just fine - rising like the morning sun, maintaining moisture, and baking off with a nice sugary/crisp crust. Crisis averted. I overreacted, as usual. But, it was a great learning experience. I now know that I must wear more comfortable shoes when I go running around NYC in search of expensive oils. :)



Tomorrow night, my table will be showcasing these delicacies proudly. Hopefully the things they go with will be up to par! Look forward to Grilled Swordfish, Braised Baby Fennel and Carrots, and Red Wine-Poached Rhubarb. (Hopefully without incident this time)

Comments