V is for Veggies

So, because of health issues, I have had to re-examine and restrict my diet big time in the past week or so. Currently, I am living off of vegetables, bananas, berries, beans and nuts. Occasionally I get crazy and have quinoa or rice, but only on very special occasions. No alcohol, dairy, soy, sugar or gluten for me! While I know that this is so much healthier for my body, it's a total drag. What does a vegetarian eat at a bar when she can't have mozzarella sticks and a glass of wine? Bleh.


It's a good thing that I love vegetables. And I do LOVE vegetables. They are absolutely delicious - crisp, cool, crunchy, naturally sweet, and totally satisfying (even if they doesn't always last for too long). Over the next few weeks, I am taking veggies to a whole new level. I'm getting crazy with carrots, loopy with lettuce, rambunctious with radishes, wild with... well... um, you get the idea. We are kicking it up a notch.
I am also about to be faced with my final cooking exam at school, so I will need to begin practicing for this test of vegan culinary creativity. Even if I have to make the same thing multiple weeks in a row, I will conquer quinoa and collard greens. The heat is on. To use a young phrase, "Let's rock this sh**."

Last night was so darn hot that the thought of cooking for too long was unthinkable. I ended up making a wonderful salad loaded with fresh local veggies and served it with steamed quinoa topped with sauteed pattypan squash, basil and pine nuts. It was super simple and seasonal. Food you actually feel good about eating. Feel free to mix it up and vary the vegetables with whatever you enjoy and looks good at a market near you.

Tossed Salad with Tahini Dressing: Yields 4 Servings
Dressing:
2 Tbsp tahini
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp honey
1 tsp olive oil
salt and pepper
1-2 Tbsp water (+ more if needed)
Salad:
4 oz baby lettuce, washed, dried, and torn into bite-sized pieces
3 spring baby carrots, julienned (or 1large)
3 radishes, julienned
1/4 red onion, very thinly sliced
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup blanched English shell peas
1/2 cup blanched fava beans
2 Tbsp fresh mint, thinly sliced (chiffonade)

Prepare the dressing by whisking together the tahini, vinegar, mustard, honey, olive oil, salt and pepper. Add enough water to thin to desired dressing consistency. Toss with the salad ingredients listed or with your favorite combination.


Sauteed Pattypan Squash: Yields 4 Servings
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lb baby pattypan squash, quartered
1/4 cup white wine
salt and pepper, to taste
To serve:
1-2 cups steamed quinoa
2 Tbsp fresh basil, thinly sliced (chiffonade)
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted

In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and sweat 1-2 minutes. Add squash, cooking 2 minutes more. Pour in wine, swirling to deglaze the bottom; season to taste with salt and pepper. Continue cooking until the liquid has evaporated and squash is tender and golden. Serve on a bed on quinoa topped with basil and pine nuts.


These were totally simple dishes (so simple that I probably didn't actually need to type recipes for them), but they were also totally delicious. If you make them at home, I hope you enjoy.

Because I know you have been wondering, the jam turned out very well last week. When I get the chance, I will add the recipe to here. Tonight I am continuing My Year of Canning with picked baby zucchini. They just looked so darn delicious at the market that I couldn't help myself. I also have some very ambitious canning dreams for next week for my couple of days off. I will be getting my jam on.

Other than the zucchini, I just have plans to make another Olive Oil and Lemon-Thyme Cake as well as a batch of Rosemary Pecans (recipe still to come) for a gift this week. Instead, I'll be exploring the culinary wonders of Massachusetts over the weekend. Hope to have photos and recipe-inspiration for you next week :)

Comments