Caponata is King

Caponata is heaven. Bliss. The epitome of culinary greatness. It is not fancy, sophisticated or elaborate - but, rather it is full of flavor and beautiful simplicity. This sauce (or at least the version I created last night) was so delicious, I actually ate it on its own. My boyfriend claimed that it was one of the best things I have ever made. Probably the best sauce he has ever had. (His grandmother is Italian, so this came as a TOTAL shock to me and my non Italian-ness) It was a little sweet, spicy, tangy, savory...it basically hit all of your taste buds like a symphony of notes. Now, I was a little apprehensive about giving away this prized recipe, but what point is there to cooking if you don't share? I decided that your kitchens should benefit from this deliciousness as mine have and absolutely will again.

Pasta with Sicilian Caponata and Crumbled Feta: Yields 4-6 Servings
2 T olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 t crushed red pepper flakes
1 small eggplant, quartered and sliced 1/8-inch thin
1 zucchini, halved and sliced 1/8-inch thin
1 yellow squash, halved and sliced 1/8-inch thin
3 large tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
2 T capers, drained
2 T Balsamic vinegar
1 T brown sugar
1 t dried oregano
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
1 box pasta, prepared according to package directions (I used gluten-free brown rice pasta)
4 oz feta cheese, crumbled (optional-omit for vegan)

1. Heat oil in a large deep saute pan over medium heat. Add onion and sweat for 1-2 minutes. Add garlic and crushed red pepper flake and cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.

2. Add eggplant, zucchini and yellow squash, cooking until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, olives, capers, Balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes, or until tomatoes are broken down and the sauce is stewy. Readjust seasonings, if necessary.

3. Before serving, stir in pine nuts. Serve over pasta topped with crumbled feta cheese.



See - super simple! Don't be overwhelmed by the laundry list of ingredients. The vegetables are seasonal and available at your local market, and the rest of the ingredients are mostly pantry staples (at least my pantry). I highly recommend you prepare this dish. You will surely enjoy!

I won't be cooking much for the rest of the weekend, except for scrambled eggs and reheating leftovers. There is a lot in store for next week though! Get excited...

Comments

  1. I just had lunch... and I am hungry all over again! I will have to try this for sure (you would be so proud of my skills in the kitchen now =)!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment