Summertime Soup and Salad

This past week, I was reminded of a semi-famous song that starts out with "Hot town, summer in the city. Back of my neck getting dirty and gritty." So, so true. I am currently spending my days in a tiny kitchen. It is a true internship - doing all the tedious and dirty work for free. But the worst part (even over being treated generally like an incompetant mule) is the heat. The restaurant doesn't run the air conditioning during the day. Litterally, I sweat the entire time I am there. I have had to designate a side towel to wiping my head and neck so my salty sweat doesn't drip into my painstakingly-sliced celery. As a female who likes to look presentable, this sucks. Oh well. As I said, it is a true internship experience. Thank goodness there is only a week and a half left!

Anyways, now that I have ranted for a good paragraph or so, we can move on to bigger and better things. Such as dinner!!! As I have been spending my days cooking and sweating, the last thing I have wanted to do when I have gotten home is cook behind a hot stove (inducing more sweat). So this week, I kept the cooking to a minimum. I prepared a refreshing and cool dinner of Chilled Zucchini Soup and an Arugula and Watermelon Salad with Feta, Pistachios and Citrus Shrimp.

Chilled Zucchini Soup: Yields 4-6 Servings
1 T olive oil
1 T butter (use oil for vegan)
1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 spring fresh thyme
18 oz zucchini, chopped (plus 1/2 cup extra julienne ribbons for garnish)
salt and pepper, to taste
2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1 T shredded basil (plus extra for garnish)
1/4 cup creme fraiche, for garnish (optional-omit for vegan)

  1. In a medium stockpot, heat olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
  2. Add thyme and zucchini, cooking until zucchini is tender, about 8-10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  3. Add the stock and bring the mixture to a boil. Turn off the heat, remove the thyme sprig and add the basil.
  4. Puree the soup in a blender until smooth. If needed, add additional water or stock to thin to desired consistency. Readjust seasonings, if necessary. Chill to room temperature in an ice bath, transfer to the fridge and chill until cold.
  5. To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Top with zucchini ribbons, basil and a dollop of creme fraiche.


Arugula and Watermelon Salad with Feta, Pistachios and Citrus Shrimp: Yields 4 Servings
juice of 1 lime
juice of 1 orange
1 clove garlic, crushed
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1 T honey
1 lb shrimp, cleaned and de-vained
3 T olive oil, divided
5 oz arugula, washed and dried
1 lb seedless watermelon, cut into 4 1/2-inch slabs
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
5 oz feta cheese, cubed
sea salt (preferably a finishing salt) and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup pistachios, toasted
1 T balsamic vinegar (preferably an aged syrupy balsamic vinegar)

  1. Combine the lime juice, orange juice, garlic, crushed red pepper and honey. Toss shrimp in and marinate for 10 minutes. Drain and blot shrimp dry.
  2. Toss with 1 T olive oil, salt and pepper. Heat grill over medium-high heat. Grill shrimp for 1 minute per side, or until nicely charred and cooked through.
  3. Toss arugula, onion, feta, and pistachios with the remaining 2 T of olive oil, salt and pepper. Place a slab of watermelon on each plate. Evenly divide salad among the 4 plates and top with shrimp. Finish the plates with a small drizzle of balsamic vinegar.


Hope you enjoy these fairly simple recipes. I know I sure did (especially after a long hot summer day). No other cooking so far this week. I'm currently living off of popcorn, carrots, cashews and bananas. Woo Hoo (not)! I'm going to be packing and moving next week, so I have no idea what I will be able to make, if anything. I'll definitely keep you posted!!

Comments