Poblano Double Take

This is my WAY BELATED ode to stuffed poblano peppers. You are summery and delicious. I love thee.

As you know, I graduated from culinary school about 3 weeks ago. As was to be expected. the most important part of the graduation ceremony was the graduation meal. While the photo slide show was fun for reminiscing, and the mini-speeches were awkward yet perfect, the meal was by far the most anticipated part of the ceremony. The dinner was conceived and prepared by the masterful Chef Sue B, who's clever take on Mexican cuisine was amazing. It was unique yet familiar. Distinct yet subtle. All in all, it was fabulous. Of course, this led me to want to try my own hand at making stuffed poblano peppers. While I knew all too well that mine might not turn out as well as Sue's, I also knew that I wanted to try. So, this was my version! I prepared Quinoa Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Sauce and served them up with some simple Sauteed Swiss Chard. A little simpler, a little less involved, but still loaded with flavor.


Quinoa Stuffed Poblano Peppers: Yields 4 Servings
2 poblano peppers, halved and seeds removed
1/2 cup dry quinoa
1 ear of corn, kernels cut off of cob
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
salt and pepper
1/2 sweet vidalia onion, small dice
1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp lime juice
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro (plus additional minced for garnish, optional)
1 tsp ground cumin
4 oz goat cheese, crumbled (optional-omit for vegan)
  1. Heat oven to 425.
  2. Place the poblano halves on a roasting pan, skin-side up. Bake until skin in charred and peppers are tender, about 15 minutes. Remove to a bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and steam 5 minutes.
  3. Prepare quinoa according to package directions.
  4. Toss corn kernals with 1 Tbsp oil, salt and pepper on a small baking sheet. Place in oven to roast until light brown, about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
  5. In a medium saucepan, heat remaining Tbsp of oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, jalapeno and garlic. Sweat until translucent and fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Add prepared quinoa, roasted corn, lime juice, cilantro and cumin. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  6. To serve, place a pepper half on each plate and top with the quinoa filling. Spoon over the Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Sauce (recipe below) and finish with crumbled goat cheese and minced cilantro (if using).


Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Sauce: Yields 4 Servings
2 tomatoes, quartered
1 red pepper, quartered and seeds removed
1/2 red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 Tbsp chipotle chili powder
1 tsp lime juice
2 tsp honey
salt and pepper, to taste

  1. Heat oven to 425.
  2. On a roasting pan, toss tomatoes, bell pepper, onion and garlic with the olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Turn peppers to the skin-side is facing up. Roast in the oven until pepper skins are beginning to char and are loose, about 10 minutes. Cool slightly.
  3. Remove skins from peppers. Add to a blender, along with the roasted tomatoes, onion, garlic and any remaining juices. Add cinnamon, cayenne, chili powder, lime juice and honey. Blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt.


Sauteed Swiss Chard: Yields 4 Servings
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 lb swiss chard, stems removed,leaves roughly chopped, rinsed
salt, to taste

Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add garlic and sweat 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant. Add chard leaves and cook until just wilted, about 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt.



Sorry this blog post is SOOO late. I've been working in over-drive between my job and my internship (which is totally kicking my butt). I am currently spending my days sweating my patootie off, thinly slicing a cornucopia of vegetables, doing dishes, and generally trying not to get in the chef's way (or else I fear it would be "off with my head"). I think I am still alive (with surprisingly better knife skills). Though there hasn't been any time to cook at home, I do hope to make something Monday night (provided I haven't fallen over and injured myself due to lack of sleep). I'm leaning towards an off-the-chain-delicious soup and salad night. You'll have to just wait and see!! Wish me luck... or better yet - survival!

Comments