Super Scallops Supper

I just realized that I am running a cooking marathon. The gun has fired. The sprint has begun. We are only one week in and I'm feeling the adrenaline rush. This next week is going to be crazy! I will be making at least two dinners this week, as well as many pints of tomato sauce, picked okra, and trail mix bars. Get ready for some fun recipes! Life is getting back to normal here. I can now easily navigate my new apartment without tripping over something in the middle of the night (causing me to stub my toe, fall over, and curse the day I ever decided to move all of my humanly belongings). Also, magically, I have found a home for all of my random kitchen gadgets! Oh yes, things are finally coming together. Perfect timing.

For dinner tonight, I made Blackened Scallops with Creamed Sweet Corn, Sauteed Spinach and Parmesan Fricos. Sounds fancy. Fairly easy. Flavorful. Seasonal. Delicious.



Blackened Scallops: Yields 4-6 Servings
1 lb scallops, cleaned and patted dry
1/4 cup blackening seasoning (if you want to make your own, a recipe is listed below)
salt (mix with blackening spice ONLY if your blend is not already seasoned)
2 T butter
2 T olive oil

Coat both sides of each scallop with blackening seasoning. Heat butter and oil over medium-high heat in cast iron or non-stick pan. When pan is nice and hot, add scallops in two batches and cook until golden and just barely cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from heat.

Blackening Spice:
1 1/4 T paprika
2 t dried thyme
2 t onion powder
2 t garlic powder
2 t salt
1 t sugar
1 t black pepper
1 t cayenne pepper
1 t dried oregano
pinch of nutmeg


Creamed Sweet Corn: Yields 4-6 Servings
2 T butter
1 small onion, small dice
2 ears of corn, shucked
1/2 cup vegetable stock
salt and pepper, to taste

Heat butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sweat until fragrant and translucent. Add corn, vegetable stock, salt and pepper. Cook until corn is cooked through. Transfer to a blender and pulse until chunky but broken down. Add additional stock and readjust seasonings, if necessary.



Parmesan Frico: Yields 4-6 Servings
4 oz Parmesan cheese, finely shredded

Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1-2 T of the cheese, spreading to make a 2-3 inch circle. Cook until lightly golden. Turn off heat and let sit until golden and able to be moved. Remove immediately.

Alternatively, the fricos can be made on a parchment-lined baking sheet in the oven. Bake at 350 until golden and crisp. Remove immediately.



Again, as you can see, none of these recipes are too difficult. They have a wonderful presentation, however, and are sure to make a big impression. The Creamed Sweet Corn is absolutely slammin'. Like holey moley, make double. Hope you enjoy! Tomorrow night, I am canning tomato sauce and pickled okra (to be used in another recipe this week). Stay tuned and keep cooking...

Comments

  1. I've got to quit reading these... they make me too hungry, and not-so-satisfied with whatever I just ate because yours looks so much better! Glad to hear things are in place now and getting back to normal, whatever that is these days :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are too sweet! Hope you are trying some of them out at home. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks absolutely delicious Abbey. You got a beautiful sear on your scallops. But I would expect nothing less from a chef such as yourself (smile).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment