Toasty Rosti

I cooked!!!

Yes I, Little Miss Cooking Hiatus, has broken her forced strike. Finally, I am back.

My schedule is back to a version of normalcy, freeing up enough time to make dinner again! Even better-I'm going balls to the walls, making a full comeback. Instead of just making one dinner each week, I'm going all out and making TWO meals!! Wahoo!! New recipes and ideas to use seasonal produce. Hope you will find them fairly simple and absolutely delicious :) Next week will actually be a bit crazy, as I will also be canning tomato sauce and making a special treat as a gift. You are such lucky ducks.

As my first meal, I decided to use up most of the lovely produce that I received as a gift. I decided upon making Potato Rosti with a Provencal Three-Bean Salad in Tarragon Vinaigrette. It may sound a little fancy and complicated, what with the word "rosti" in the title, but all that means is delicious "potato pancake!" Oh, we're going for gold with this one. The recipes are really quite simple, especially if you own a food processor. This invaluable tool will save you a lot of time and hassle.

Potato Rosti: Yields 4 Servings
3 Russet potatoes, grated
2 T butter (or substitute 2 T additional oil for vegan)
2 T canola oil
salt and pepper, to taste

Grate potatoes on a box grater. Wrap in a towel and wring out the excess water. Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Form potatoes into cakes of desired size and cook until brown, about 2-3 minutes. Flip over, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until done in the middle and brown on the other side. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Keep warm and crisp in a low temperature oven until ready to eat.


Provencal Three-Bean Salad in Tarragon Vinaigrette: Yields 4 Servings
Tarragon Vinaigrette:
2 T tarragon leaves
1 clove garlic, roasted
1 T Dijon mustard
2 T Balsamic vinegar
1 t maple syrup
1/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
Salad:
1 lb green beans
1 lb pole beans
14oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 pint heirloom cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced (easiest to do on a mandolin)
1 can artichoke hearts, quartered
1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives, halved
  1. In the bowl of a food processor, process tarragon, garlic, Dijon, balsamic vinegar and maple syrup. With the machine running, slowly drizzle in olive oil until the mixture is dressing-consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  2. Bring a large bowl of salted water to a boil. Blanch green beans and pole beans in water for 30 seconds, or until crisp tender. Shock in a bath of ice water. Drain well.
  3. Toss beans as well as other salad ingredients with the Tarragon Vinaigrette. Readjust seasonings, if necessary.

It was so nice to finally be back in the kitchen. This might totally sound like an exaggeration, but I felt a little lost without it. It's my art. My passion. My addiction. Crazy, but by finally cooking (in the new apartment!!), I felt like a made it more of a home. Ugh - too gushy.
I have another simple dinner that I plan to prepare tonight. It lovingly uses up the produce in my fridge - Pasta with Sicilian Caponata and Crumbled Feta.

Comments